I feel like my "belief" in tax funded programs to aid the poor is a direct reflection of my religious beliefs. Jesus Christ asked us to be charitable, He told us we should not put preconditions on our charity. I like the what King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon says:
16 And also, ye yourselves will asuccor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the bbeggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.
17 Perhaps thou shalt asay: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—
18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
19 For behold, are we not all abeggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?
I have a lot more thoughts on this subject, but one thing my blog is not is long winded...
I have a lot more thoughts on this subject, but one thing my blog is not is long winded...
ps. I hope Piper NEVER learns from me that she should feel inferior or superior to anyone based on how much money she has and where that money comes from.


2 comments:
Annie,
I agree with your comment and appreciate your raising this issue. I know that many folks (note that I am using the word "folks" on your blog), us included, don't really feel entirely comfortable relying on the kindness of strangers . . . er, taxpayers, to help us get by. We like be self-sufficient, but at times you just need a little help along. A man in our ward came up to me on Sunday and said that he was ashamed that he had to ask for some welfare because he is a "hard and honest worker", but he got laid off his new job because his wife had a seizure and he had to miss two days of work. Hard times hit many of us, and it is such an inspiring relief that we live in a country where we have somewhere we can turn for help. I think if someone is calling people "lazy" because they are on welfare they should make an effort to get to know the details of the individual situations. It reminds me of a part in the The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. The Ghost of Christmas Present suggests that, before Scrooge makes dismissive comments about the poor, he should find out exactly "who they are and where they are."
Great blog.
Love what you've done with it.
Love,
Jesse
Amen to all of that.
You two are cute together. And your little Piper makes you guys just about the cutest family in the world. Next to us. (Literally. NEXT to us. HAHA. Oh man, I'm so funny.)
Post a Comment