Friday, May 8, 2009

Ezra is here!




I wanted to share Ezra's birth story and not miss any details so I am typing this out from the hospital while he sleeps next to me. I had a scheduled induction on thursday that failed. Meaning I was given 6 hours of a pitocin drip and had maybe 3 contractions total!!! Jesse and I made the decision after that to go home and wait, either schedule another day or just let Ezra come on his own. My midwife turned the pitocin off and I had to stay at teh hospital being monitered for another 1.5 hours until they were sure the contractions were completely gone and the pitocin was out of my system. We went home a little mentally defeated and Jesse promised to take me to Lunaberry for frozen yogurt (yummmmm). On the way home from the hospital I started feeling a couple of contractions (more painful than any I had had while on the drip). I chalked it up to maybe having some residual hormone left in my body and we went about our evening. Pretty soon (within 30 minutes) they were coming 6 minutes apart and I could not talk through them. We called the Midwife and she said to take a hot shower and watch for an hour. Within the hour they went to 4 then 3 minutes apart. I still thought they would die off so we continued with our trip to Lunaberry (duh!) I must have looked so awkward having very strong minute long surges coming every 3 minutes. We went home and I got in the tub which felt heavenly, pretty soon the surges increased in length until they were each about 1 min 15 sec. WOW! Then came the realization that this was actually labor and I got scared that we weren't going to make it to the hospital. Piper went with Gramma DeAnne and Dana and Jesse and I drove up the hill to the U. When we got there they got us right into a room with a tub and I was able to get in and labor in the tub for about 30 minutes. Jesse was so supportive and stayed so close to me the whole time, I made it to 8.5 cm dilated in the tub and my midwife wanted me to get out. From there I went to kneeling on my hands and knees on the bed, and from there to squatting. I was so empowered and amazed by my body's ability to do instinctually exactly what it needed to do to get the baby out. After squatting for a while I moved into semi squatting sitting position and bagan pushing. According to Dana the baby shot out like a rocket. It only took 2 hard pushes and he was out and beautiful. It was the exact birth experience I had wanted. I was completely unmedicated and in charge of what I wanted to do.

10 comments:

chanel said...

I am so excited for you. I was hoping that you would have this experience and was worried when Martin said you went in to be induced.

Isn't it beautiful how things work out just the way they should and blessings just keep pouring down. I am so excited to meet Ezra. He looks perfect.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olya said...

awwww... He's gorgeous! So glad you had a wonderful experience! I kept checking my phone to make sure I didn't miss your phone call, but for some reason I thought today you already had him :) So how big is he?

The Kelstroms said...

Congrats Annie and Jesse! I was so shocked when I opened your blog page because I'd seen Jesse after you guys came home yesterday. I'm so glad everything worked out. We'll bring dinner whenever you want it!
-Lindsey

Carlye said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! He is perfect.

Ashley Rae said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful :)

Stephanie Ford said...

I can't wait to meet him! Congratulations!

Kristi said...

I'm so proud of you for being strong enough to go all natural! That's so great. Congratulations on a beautiful baby.

DanaB said...

Miles of Smiles! I can't stop talking about being there! It was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed! Well honestly it was probibly the most amazing thing I have been a part of:) I am so happy you guys are so happy! You are SO strong and amazing Annie! Jesse was amazing as well! Has Miles been testing his lungs more often? Love you all-Dana

Rhubarb said...

Congrats! I love the name Ezra. I'm so glad Dana got to be there, she left a breathless message on my phone to check the blog. He is so cute, and I'm glad you recorded your experience, its great to have it written down. What a wonderful family you have!

Rachel said...

p.s. we met once....Miles is adorable! good name.